Visitors Center TWS
Kennedy Space Center, FL

Prior to the Civil War, construction was begun on a 145' iron lighthouse but halted during the war. When the war ended in 1865, work resumed and the tower was completed in 1865, with a first-order lens that could be seen from 18 miles at sea. In 1873, the conical tower was painted with black and white horizontal bands for visual identification.

Eventually the Atlantic ocean eroded away the shoreline by the tower and it was dismantled and moved a mile inland and rebuilt at its present site.

Lighting of the new lens took place in 1894 and the tower has been operating since then.

LIGHTHOUSE - 145' / OPEN - Bus tours / MUSEUM - No / FEE - Yes