EGMONT KEY LIGHTHOUSE
Tampa Bay, FL
In the 1830s' residents in Key West and Sanibel Island asked the federal government to erect a lighthouse in Tampa bay, but it wasn't until 1848 that one was built on Boca Grande Beach. In September of that year a fierce hurricane covered the island with water and damaged the new lighthouse.
In 1858, the original lighthouse was torn down and a new and stronger 85' tower with three-foot-thick brick walls was built for $16,000 on the old foundation. That white tower is still standing on the northern end of the key and has weathered numerous strong hurricanes.
After World War II the Coast Guard tended the lighthouse. In 1974, Egmont Key became a National Wildlife Preserve and in 1978, it joined the National Register of Historic Places, primarily because of the lighthouse.
The lighthouse is now automated and a radiobeacon is emitted from a 133-foot antenna located next to the lighthouse.
LIGHTHOUSE - 85' / OPEN - Yes / MUSEUM - No / FEE - No