Amelia Island, FL
The northernmost Florida lighthouse was built in 1820 on Georgia's Cumberland Island. Following the annexation of Florida as a U.S. Territory, the Cumberland Lighthouse was dismantled in 1839 and moved to Amelia Island on the south bank of St. Mary's River to provide better service.
Amelia Island Lighthouse is a Victorian structure standing 107 feet above sea level with a flash every 10 seconds seen from 23 miles at sea. The 64-foot white-washed conical shaped tower is 4 feet thick at the base, tapering to the apex and located two miles from the north end of the island and one mile from the town of Fernandina.
The tower has a third-order Fresnel lens. A red sector alerts boaters to the dangers of the shoal in Nassau Sound.
LIGHTHOUSE - 64' / OPEN - No / MUSEUM - No / FEE - None